|Hat, 2013.56.1 ©
Pitt Rivers Museum|
Traditional hat as worn by Lepcha people in Sikkim, India. The hat is woven and plaited from strips of cane and decorated with reflective plates of mica. Similar hats were worn by soldiers attending the royal family of Sikkim. This hat was brought to Britain not later than 1922 by the donor, Joan Schneider’s grandparents Walter and Eva Hodges. Walter Hodges was in the Indian Civil Service when he was assistant to the chief political officer of Sikkim John Claude White from 1890. He retired to Britain in 1922. Joan kindly donated the hat to the Pitt Rivers Museum.